The International Whaling Commission (IWC) has heard reports about the smallest cetaceans: Dolphins, porpoises and small whales from the WWF, the news report cited
The Australian Minister for the Environment, Peter Garratt, said to the IWC meeting in Portugal that Whales were worth more alive than dead as the Whale watching business was worth around $3Billion worldwide.
On the other hand, European countries are set to increase their whale quota - to that above the Japanese scientists!!
This is a typical scenario for a great WebQuest:
- It involves a real life situation that is "messy" and involves Problem-Based Learning (PBL)
- antagonistic yet legitimate views are held by different perspectives or roles
- collaboration is required to obtain an outcome
- emotional intelligence is used
- Higher Order Thinking Skills of Analysis, Evaluation, Creativitiy [Synthesis] have to be used to work out a solution to this messy problem
I love the fact that you can bring real life and important events into the classroom while exploring the curriculum. In this case, the curriculum could be Ecology, Biology - particularly Diversity of Species, Political Sciences, Philosophy for Children (P4C), Values Education, Economics, or Geography.